Click the play button below, or subscribe and listen through our podcast on iTunes, Stitcher, Google Play, or Spotify.
Calling all fellow bookworms, library nerds, and general lovers of literature — it’s time for another book club episode of the podcast!
Whenever there are five Fridays in a month, we devote the extra Friday to a book that we can’t get enough of. In this episode, we’re diving into the #1 New York Times bestseller The Body Keeps the Score by Bessel van der Kolk, M.D.
This is by far the densest, most intense book we’ve ever shared on the podcast. In fact, we broke it down into two episodes so that we could do the content justice!
The Body Keeps the Score is about trauma and all of the ways it manifests in the mind and body. If you think that subject doesn’t apply to you, think again. Given that all humans experience trauma at some point in their life — and live with, work with, and love people who’ve been through trauma, too — this book is relevant to you no matter your background.
We got into…
- What trauma is, who experiences it, and why it’s often unconsciously running your life.
- The quick quiz that helps you define where you fall on the trauma spectrum.
- Ways trauma manifests in the mind and body — from mental health conditions to chronic physical illnesses and much more.
- The pros of cons of traditional treatments like prescription drugs and psychiatry.
- The best ways to reset your nervous system and heal yourself physically, mentally, and emotionally.
Again, we broke this episode down into two 50-minute episodes! If you haven’t yet listened to part one, you’ll want to go back and listen to that before moving on to this episode.
After you’ve listened, leave us a comment below to let us know which of the many insights from this book resonated with you most.