Click the play button below, or subscribe and listen through our podcast on iTunes, Stitcher, or Google Play.
Some of the most interesting people I know are the ones who’ve had a winding, twisting, irregular career path — starting out doing one thing, then dabbling in something else, and then taking a massive left turn into a whole new arena.
These people have unique perspectives and loads of fascinating stories that never seem to run out. They also tend to have very few regrets because they’ve played out many of their “what if” daydreams in real life.
And yet, most people are also terrified to take an unconventional career path that doesn’t follow on the linear “perfect resume” format we’ve all been taught is correct.
So what gives? Why are we so attracted to people with the most interesting (read: nonlinear) paths in life, and yet we feel so resistant to becoming one of them?
It all comes down to fear: fear of failure, fear of what people will think, fear of rejection, fear of the unknown, fear of disappointment, and on and on.
That’s why I’m excited to have Emily Florence on the podcast today. She felt all of those fears at every twist in her unconventional career path, but she followed her intuition and acted anyway.
Listen in as Kristen asks Emily about…
- Her experience taking a break from college and traveling alone overseas for 4 months.
- The story of when she dropped out of law school … after 4 days.
- What led her to ultimately run her own business.
- What advice she has for anyone who feels ready for a career change, but is paralyzed by their fear about taking the leap.
After you’ve listened, leave us a comment to share how Emily’s story resonated with you!
MORE ABOUT EMILY FLORENCE
Emily Florence is the founder of Savvy Miss, which is honored to be named a Forbes Top 100 Website for Women. She’s also the host of the EveryDay Happy Show podcast, a certified life, life purpose and business coach, a writer, and a former entertainment publicist and journalist.
Emily’s a puppy mama to a silly lab named Harper, a lover of green tea, a travel enthusiast and a grateful optimist.
She has a Master of Arts in Broadcast Journalism from Emerson College in Boston, a BA in Cultural Anthropology from the University of California at Santa Barbara and a Life Coaching Certificate from the Life Purpose Institute. Prior to becoming an entrepreneur, she was an entertainment publicist representing award-winning clients including American Idol, Gilmore Girls, So You Think You Can Dance, Malcolm in the Middle, Bernie Mac and more.
Emily loves inspiring and supporting people to create happier, more fulfilled, easygoing lives – and to be kinder to the amazing person staring back at them in the mirror. Find her on Instagram @savvymiss.
JOIN THE CLARITY ON FIRE COMMUNITY!
Big news: We’re now on Patreon!
- Join the $3/month tier (The Spark) for access to occasional bonus episodes and other special content. Think of this like our virtual “tip jar.” If you’re not interested in the community aspect, but appreciate our work and want to send a little love our way every month, plus get access to bonus content, this is for you!
- Join the $6/month tier (The Flame) for occasional bonus content and access to monthly patron-only Zoom meetups (hosted by our Community Ambassador, Madison) and quarterly Zoom hangs with Krachel.
For those of you who join “The Flame” tier, mark your calendars! The first community Zoom is happening on Sunday, March 28 at 1pm EST. This inaugural hangout is going to be book-club style! Choose between reading Untamed by Glennon Doyle or The Midnight Library by Matt Haig.
And when you sign up for either tier by the end of the day TODAY, March 12, we’ll enter you into a drawing! Two lucky patrons will win a free single coaching session with one of us. J
Become a patron, here. And then introduce yourself, so you can start making friends with other COF people!