Click the play button below, or subscribe and listen through our podcast on iTunes, Stitcher, or Google Play.
A few years ago, Emily Liou started to question her career in recruiting. Sure, she helped people get hired, but for every person she helped, there were so many more she had to reject. And the rejections were wearing on her.
That’s when Emily decided to quit her job, become a certified coach (she went to the same program as us!), and start her own business — one where she could leverage her experience as a recruiter and her knowledge as a coach to help people navigate both the deep, internal world of personal growth and the external challenges of finding a job.
We came to this conversation with SO many questions and common issues (ones we hear from our clients and podcast listeners all the time!) to bounce off of Emily, and she was a complete treasure trove of insight. We talked about:
- What to do if you aren’t sure you have enough experience to apply for a job.
- How to make a radical career shift, especially when you only have experience in one thing.
- Why “hard skills” aren’t necessarily more important or desired than “soft skills.”
- How to have gaps on your résumé without it looking like a big deal.
- How to actually find stellar job opportunities amidst the heaps of junk jobs out there.
- The best way to up your chances of getting a dream job, and what you need to be doing that you aren’t doing now.
- Traditional job search stuff you don’t have to keep doing (including applying for jobs online … YES, you read that right).
After you’ve listened, leave a comment below to let us know how Emily’s job searching wisdom resonated with you!
EARLY BIRD ENROLLMENT ENDS TODAY!
Here’s your final friendly reminder that today is the last day to join the Passion Plan Virtual Experience at the early bird price of $369 before it goes up another $100.
Officially, you have until 11:59pm Eastern today (Friday, the 28th) to take advantage of the early bird rate. Tomorrow, it’s going up to its regular price of $469.
The PPVE is our 4-week online course where we walk you through the process of finding your passion and figuring out what you’re meant to do with your life.
- Over 400 people have gone through it, so its track record is pretty stellar.
- The content requires about 3-4 hours of time per week.
- You have the opportunity to connect with other members, and get your questions answered by us, in a group forum.
- It’s meant for people who not only want to find their passion, but who want to get more meaning and purpose out of their entire life.
- If you’ve been spinning your wheels for a long time and want some expert guidance getting un-stuck, this is very likely the right place for you.
If you’re still on the fence and you like making “game time” decisions, there’s a complete page of details that might help you decide whether or not this is your “thing.”
We’ve had a bunch of awesome people join us so far, and we’re having a great time meeting everyone and chatting together in the forum.
So if this feels like it could be the right thing, at the right time for you … we hope you’ll be one more of them.
MORE ABOUT EMILY
Emily Liou is a career happiness coach and career expert at CultiVitae where she guides ambitious corporate professionals to design AND achieve careers they love. She believes life is way too short to not wake up happy on Mondays.
As a former recruiter and HR professional for Fortune 500 Companies and Silicon Valley startups, she knows exactly what gets corporate professionals hired and promoted. Emily’s career advice has been featured in Forbes, Fast Company, Business Insider, Fairygodboss, and The Muse. She is also the creator of The Happily Hired Formula, a comprehensive do-with-you program that covers A-Z of the job search process from designing a career to negotiating your salary.
Through her coaching programs, Emily not only provides the strategies to make any career transition possible but also works from the inside out, allowing clients to build a positive self-image to conquer all of their ambitious goals. When she is not geeking out over personal development topics, you can find Emily eating her way through Los Angeles.