Click the play button below, or subscribe and listen through our podcast on iTunes, Stitcher, Google Play, or Spotify.
Amin Lakhani was born with a neuromuscular condition called Charcot-Marie-Tooth Syndrome (type 1b) which causes his muscles to atrophy over time. Growing up, his parents gave him a very specific message: “Amin, you won’t be able to perform physical labor, so you have to study and work hard if you want to succeed in life.”
So he did. He was a straight-A student, graduated from an Ivy League University, and landed his dream job at Microsoft. By all external metrics of success, he was killing it. But internally, he was desolate. He had few friends and had never been on a date. There had to be more to life, right?
When he finally mustered the courage to ask a girl out, the stars seemed to align because she said yes! But after their first (incredibly awkward) kiss, she said, “I’m sorry, I don’t know how any woman could be attracted to a guy in a wheelchair.” That was his absolute rock-bottom.
So, he hired a dating coach. Over years of investing in himself, he learned how to form meaningful connections. People started to describe him as charismatic, confident, and unforgettable. He made friends everywhere he went, and ended up going on dates with over 40 women, of all different backgrounds, ethnicities, and even ages (from 19 to over 50). He experienced incredible sexual intimacy, lasting relationships, love, and of course, heartbreak.
After realizing how much he had to share, he became a dating coach himself. And then one of his talks went viral on YouTube. The success was overwhelming! He was just a dude trying to find love, and sharing his successes and failures in the process. Suddenly millions of people around the world knew about him — but very few actually knew him. And he was just one thing to them: a dating coach with a disability.
That realization sent him down a dark, depressed path. But lately, he’s found solace through comedy, which he now uses as a conduit to share his life and the lessons he’s learned — dating and beyond.
We got to talk to Amin about:
- Having someone confirm your worst fear to your face.
- All of the limiting beliefs and inner critic messages he had to overcome in order to put himself out there in a meaningful way (and how you can, too).
- How eventually, he just got bored of his own insecurity, and how he broke free.
- His experiences with rejection, depression, success, and finding an outlet to express himself.
Leave a comment below after you’ve listened to share which of the many truthbombs Amin dropped hit you hardest!
LAST DAY FOR GETTING OVER PEOPLE PLEASING!
Today is the LAST day to enroll in Getting Over People Pleasing! Here are some quick details if you need them:
- You can pay in one or two installments.
- You can add on a single coaching session (something we don’t normally offer) at checkout for a reduced rate!
- We officially get started on Monday, August 31st. But as soon as you enroll, there’s an intro lesson and multiple workbook assignments to get the ball rolling!
- The course will run for 4 weeks. We’ll release one new lesson each week, and at the end of the course we’ll host a live Zoom call to celebrate and wrap things up!
- There’s going to be a private forum where participants can connect, shares their stories, and get their questions answered directly by us.
- You can probably expect to commit 2-ish hours a week to this course. A small part of that time will be watching videos, and the rest will be diving into workbook assignments, as well as sharing in the forum if you want to.
- You have forever access to this course! That means whenever we run it again, you can join in if you choose. You could also enroll now, but do the content at your own pace, if this month isn’t a good time but you don’t want to miss out.