Click the play button below, or subscribe and listen through our podcast on iTunes, Stitcher, Google Play, Spotify, or YouTube.
Here’s a metaphor for you:
You’re a tree. You’ve got lots of branches — career, romance, friends, family, hobbies, health — but one root system.
If your “career” branch is feeling lackluster, does it really make sense to spend a lot of time pruning, clipping, and sprucing just that branch? Isn’t it likely that if one branch is withering, all of the branches might be affected? And in that case, why not direct your attention to the (brace yourself for a pun) root of the matter?
It seems like a no-brainer, but you’d be surprised by how many people are busy trying to perfect one branch of their tree without doing any of the deeper work needed to help the whole system thrive.
So instead of a new blog, and to highlight the fact that we’re taking on new coaching clients until this Friday (info below!), in today’s Magic-8 Ball episode (originally from October of last year) we’re expanding on this metaphor by getting into why career coaching has almost nothing to do with your career.
We’re talking about…
- Why a new job is never the solution to your misery (even when you’re convinced it is).
- The baggage you keep carting with you through every career transition (instead of learning how to let it go).
- Signs you’ve been focused on the wrong solutions to your dissatisfaction, and how to turn your attention to what actually works.
- Becoming the kind of person who’s a match to their ideal career situation — someone who can not only get (or create) their dream job, but actually thrive in it.
This is the best, clearest episode we’ve ever published about our coaching philosophy. We shared some behind-the-scenes details about what it’s like to work with us 1-on-1, and how our approach differs from other kinds of coaching, career counseling, and therapy.
If you’re curious about exactly what it’s like to be coached, and why it works so well, this is a must-listen!
1:1 COACHING ENROLLMENT IS OPEN NOW!
We’re accepting sign-up forms for new clients through Friday, October 16! A few pointers to keep in mind:
- We’ll be taking on about 15 people in this new wave, but some of those spots are already spoken for!
- This is for people interested in getting started ASAP (within the next 4-6 weeks).
- You don’t have to know for sure that you want to move ahead with coaching. You just have to be serious enough about it to want to have a conversation.
- You have the option of 2 or 6 months of coaching, though we’ll prioritize people who want to do 6 months.
- This is our last coaching enrollment of the year! If you’re not ready now, or you’ve found us in-between “official” enrollment periods, then you can add your name to the wait list and we’ll contact you if and when we have an availability.