Click the play button below, or subscribe and listen through our podcast on iTunes, Stitcher, Google Play, or Spotify.
A few months ago, my client MaryBeth started our session with, “You’re never going to believe what I just did.”
She began the call feeling utterly embarrassed, but by the end of the conversation was starting to see how the “embarrassing” thing she’d done might actually be exactly the right next step.
When you’re so committed to your plan — for your career, your relationship, or your life in general — like MaryBeth was in that moment, it can blind you to other, potentially even better paths.
In this month’s interview with a normal person, Kristen and MaryBeth talk about how to flow with the twists and turns life will inevitably throw you, including…
- What to do when life screws up your plans, and how to shift your mindset to see how that might be a great thing.
- How to determine when your reaction to something is coming from fear or intuition (MaryBeth has some great advice about this!).
- How to balance being a planner, while also being open to new possibilities that might disrupt those plans.
- A great analogy to feel more at-peace when life sends you on an unexpected path.
- MaryBeth’s advice for someone who’s gripping tightly to their idea of “the right plan.”
After you’ve listened, leave a comment below to let us know how MaryBeth’s story resonated with you.
MORE ABOUT MARY BETH
MaryBeth is a thinker and a lover. She enjoys sharing and synthesizing ideas, critical thinking, and voracious learning, but she finds the most meaning in exploring the human condition, fostering human connection, and helping ease human suffering.
As a practicing clinical neuropsychologist, MaryBeth’s professional life has been dedicated to diagnosing and treating individuals with various disorders and diseases that affect brain function. In recent years, she has become increasingly interested in combining research from neuroscience and positive psychology in order to understand how “normal” people (i.e., any of us) can apply what we know about human brain function to improve and enhance ourselves and our lives.
A self-described, recovering “anxious achiever” (Enneagram type 6/3), MaryBeth is eternally grateful for what coaching and mindfulness practice have brought to her life. Learning to hear and trust her intuition, as well as learning to be still and present – rather than constantly anticipating and planning for the next hurdle – are some of the benefits she has experienced, and she is beyond excited to continue her journey, and help support others’ journeys as well!
You can connect with MaryBeth by reading her blog or dropping her a line at www.mbhcoaching.com.
THE PPVE IS COMING BACK (ONE LAST TIME!)
Our online group coaching program, the Passion Plan Virtual Experience, will open for enrollment for the last time EVER next Tuesday, January 21, through January 29 (or when we hit 50 people, whichever comes first).
- It’s a 6-week course that helps you figure out what to do with your life. Think of it as the “AP Life” class you should have taken in high school, but never got the chance!
- The content is a mix of audios, videos, workbook assignments, and interaction with us and the rest of the group in a private forum.
- You’ll have forever access to the content, even though this is the last time we’re running the course.
- We’re only taking 50 people in this round, and enrollment is first-come, first-served. If you want in, you definitely don’t want to dally.
Early bird enrollment will be going on from Tuesday the 21st through Friday the 24th. That means if you sign up before then, you can get the course for $369 instead of the usual $469.