Click the play button below, or subscribe and listen through our podcast on iTunes, Stitcher, Google Play, or Spotify.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Calling all fellow bookworms, library nerds, and general lovers of literature — it’s time for another book club episode of the podcast!
Whenever there are five Fridays in a month, we devote the extra Friday to a book that we can’t get enough of. In this episode we’re diving into the New York Times bestseller Maybe You Should Talk to Someone by Lori Gottlieb.
Lori, a therapist, goes through a sudden break-up in her mid-forties which sends her into an existential tailspin. The book is an examination of her experience being on both the giving and receiving ends of therapy. You not only follow along as she peels back the layers on what led her to her own rock bottom, but how a handful of her patients made their way out of their own dark nights of the soul, too.
We talked about …
- Why so many of us believe that feelings are shameful, and why we hide them.
- How unreliable we all are as narrators of our own experience, and how to see yourself more accurately.
- Getting past the “presenting problem” (the problem you think you have) and finding the true root of your issues.
- Differences and similarities between therapy and coaching.
- Achieving “emotional sobriety”: when you don’t need to self-medicate (with substances, your phone, romantic partners, etc.) to regulate your feelings.
- The 5 stages of change, and how to recognize when you (and people you care about) are actually ready for help/change.
After you’ve listened, leave us a comment below to let us know which nuggets of wisdom from this book resonated with you most!
HOLIDAY SPECIAL FOR THE PPSC!
Starting Tuesday, December 10th (and ending on the 17th), we’re offering a holiday special on The Passion Profile Short Course!
- For that week, the course will be $50 off its usual price.
- Anyone who signs up in that window will get access to a LIVE online workshop with us in January (date TBD) where we’ll be answering questions and talking about how to set “anti-resolutions” in the new year (AKA, goals you’ll actually stick to).
- AND (this is a big one) anyone who signs up during that window will also get grandfathered into our 2019 coaching rates, and will get a chance to do coaching before we open enrollment again in March!
The PPSC is the easiest place to get started if you’re new to Clarity on Fire and need help getting unstuck. It’s only 5-ish hours, which means you can sit down and find some career direction in as little as one day.
PAST BOOK CLUB EPISODES
Bonus Book Club! The Wisdom of the Enneagram (Part 1) (August 2019)
Bonus Book Club! The Wisdom of the Enneagram (Part 2) (August 2019)
Bonus Book Club! Dodging Energy Vampires by Christiane Northrup (May 2019)
Bonus Book Club! It’s Not Your Money by Tosha Silver (March 2019)
Bonus Book Club! Outrageous Openness by Tosha Silver (November 2018)
Bonus Book Club! The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho (August 2018)
Bonus Book Club! Big Magic by Elizabeth Gilbert (June 2018)
Submit your question for a future episode of Dear Krachel